How do I use Yield Estimation?
The Yield Estimation feature provides users with the ability to digitally estimate corn yield before harvest based on kernel count, stand count, and kernels per bushel. Users can share, add notes, and view history of results.
- Must have a BPID added to account.
- Fields created.
- Crop assigned.
- Must meet current minimum device requirements.
- Camera and Location access enabled.
- Log into the Pioneer Seeds app.
- Select the Operation and Crop Year.
- Select the Estimate Yield .
- Place a single clean corn ear parallel to the camera and center it within the on screen guide. The picture will be taken automatically when the border turns green.
- For best results:
- Avoid selecting the representative ear from areas of the field that are excessively good/bad.
- Hold the ear in consistent light, avoiding canopy shade.
- Take about 2-3 images of the same ear from different angles.
- Using multiple representative ears on each field will increase accuracy of results.
- Know your product - stand count, kernels/bu value - if kernel count does not make sense, retake the image.
- Start with the device close to the ear and proceed to move it away slowly until the frame turns green.
- For best results:
- Once the image is captured, select one of the following options:
- Retake - Discards the existing image and returns to the camera screen. A new picture must be taken to proceed. The previously taken image is not used in the yield estimate.
- Capture Next Ear - Saves the existing image and allows for another image to be captured. The previously taken image is included in the estimate.
- Run Estimate - Calculates the estimated yield.
NOTE: The yield estimation is a reflection of the ears selected for image analysis and does not reflect true yield of the field.
- Complete all required fields on the Yield Estimate page:
- Stand Count
- Update the Yield Estimate results by either adding or deleting images.
- Add more images using the camera icon -or- removing an image by selecting the image and select the delete icon.
- Select Continue.
- Select Field associated with Yield Estimate or Select None.
- Select Done.
- Mark the location of this note by selecting Add observation in the map section at the top of the page.
- This process uses the previously selected layer for the map.
- Tap and Hold to place/drop a pin on the map.
- Alternatively you may use the Follow Me button to navigate to your. current location or use the Field Location button to zoom to the selected field.
- Once pin has been placed, Select Done.
NOTE: You may change the location of the selected pin by selecting the Edit Observation's location.
- Confirm the field name (this will be the field name you selected previously).
- The Date field is the current date and is unable to be changed at this time.
- The Product Placed is reflected on this observation.
- Add any applicable notes to this observation by selecting Add Notes Here.
- Check Only visible to me to make an observation private or leave unchecked to make it visible to anyone on the operation.
NOTE: Private Observations will have a person icon while Shared Observations will have 2 person icon.
- Select the export icon to generate a PDF document and share via text, email or other method.
NOTE: PDFs generated in the iOS app can only be shared via text/SMS with other iOS devices. To share a PDF with an Android user, select email or another option.
- Reference the yield estimation results in Observations by selecting Save.
- Repeat all steps as necessary to create yield estimates on additional fields. NOTE: You may delete Observations by selecting the observation then the select the delete icon.