How do I use Yield Estimation on Android?
The Yield Estimation feature provides users with the ability to digitally estimate corn yield before harvest based on kernel count, stand count, and kernels per bushel. Users can share, add notes, and view history of results.
- Galaxy S6 or newer; Android 8 (Oreo) or higher.
- Log into the Pioneer Seeds app.
- Select Yield Estimation icon .
- Select Continue on the next screen.
- Place a single clean corn ear parallel to the camera and line it within the on screen guide. To capture the image, touch the shutter icon.
- For best results:
- Avoid selecting the representative corn from area of the field that are excessively good/bad.
- Hold the ear in consistent light, avoiding canopy shade.
- Take about 2-3 images of same ear from different angles.
- Using multiple representative ears on each field will increase accuracy of results.
- Know your product - Stand Count, Kernels/bu value - if Kernel count does not make sense, retake an image.
- For best results:
- Once the image is captured, select one of the following options:
- Retake - Discards the existing image and returns to the camera screen. A new picture must be taken to proceed. The previously taken image is not used in the yield estimate.
- Capture Next Ear - Saves the existing image and allows for another image to be captured. The previously taken image is included in the estimate.
- Run Estimate - Calculates the estimated yield.
Note: The yield estimation is a reflection of the ears selected for image analysis and does not reflect true yield of the field.
- Complete all required fields on the Yield Estimates page:
- Stand Count
- Observed Growth Stage
- Update the Yield Estimate results by either adding or deleting images.
- Add more images using the camera icon -or- removing an image by selecting the image and click the delete icon.
- Select Export PDF to generate a PDF document and share via text, email or other method.
Note: PDFs generated in the Android app can only be shared via text/SMS with other Android devices. To share a PDF with an iOS user, select email or another option.
- Reference the yield estimation results in My Estimates by clicking Submit.
- Repeat all steps as necessary to create yield estimates on additional fields.